Sunday, July 14, 2013

Let's get real...

One of the biggest obstacles of changing your life, losing weight and getting into shape is learning how to recover when you get off track. I feel that the biggest reason people become unsuccessful at changing their lives for the better is because if they feel as though they've gotten off track with their meal plans, portions, exercise regimens, etc. and they're not quite sure how to get back on track so that's when I find most people simply give up. 
Today is my weigh-in day and I can tell you right now that I'm not looking forward to it because I know I've been off track for about half of the week, but I am looking forward to it because that's my motivation to keep going. It's like my brain telling my mouth that it better cut the BS and get back on track unless I want to keep living the life I am and end up going in full speed reverse. When you get off track, take a few minutes to realize and understand what caused you to get off track in the first place. For me, this week turned out to be extremely stressful and everyday I got home from work I was completely drained with no ambition to really cook anything that I really should have been eating. I ended up eating gluten and felt like I should turn it into an experiment - this way I can always go back and remind myself of the things gluten causes in my body & also to give you some more information. 
I believe it was Thursday at work and I knew I didn't really want what I had at home for food and truthfully just wanted a Jr. cheeseburger from Wendy's. I went out and got myself that cheeseburger and it was SO good... But then I did the same thing again for lunch on Friday. For one lunch at Wendy's I had a whopping 1,070 calories and 55 grams of fat (not to mention all the gluten). Most of the time when I'm craving a cheeseburger I'll have one at home(usually chicken burger) or at my mom's house but occasionally I will go to Wendy's/McDonald's and opt for the worse version. This time I ate way more than I should have and it wasn't satisfying as I sat at work completely bloated for the rest of the day which continued for the rest of the evening. As most of you may already know I am actually gluten sensitive! So on top of adding in these foods that were already horrible for my body, I added in items that medically make me ill. Gluten causes me to have bloating, abdominal cramping/pain, bowel irregularities, worse migraines, lethargic/dragging feeling and more. So as you can imagine I haven't felt good since about Thursday, which is no one's fault but my own. I didn't have a meal already prepared and when I did I simply didn't want what was made. 
Something that most of you are actually very unaware of is that gluten(wheat, rye, barley, oats and malt) can not only cause gastrointestinal troubles, but can also put a huge damper on your weight loss and cause so many other problems without you even realizing it (because you may just be so used to it) which I talk about more in my Gluten blog(CHECK IT OUT!).
What you need to do after you get off track whether it be for one meal or one month is literally just pick up where you left off. However, you may want to try adding in some new flavors or ways of cooking things to help broaden the spectrum of food you'll be eating as not to get bored with your choices. Time to jump back into the swing of things because I promise that you will feel so much better while eating healthier foods... Foods that are natural and not processed, have low carbohydrates and high protein content, etc. Also, don't forget to stay moving.. I know, I know how difficult it can be to get moving for some people, including myself at times. Whether it be walking around your neighborhood or workplace for even a half hour or so, parking in the furthest spot away from the entrance to the store or trying out some sit-ups and push ups while your watching TV at night. 

Today's post is very realistic but you have to know that this is NOT going to be an easy ride and you will have your ups and downs. Just remember that, that's what makes this a journey and a lifestyle change. You'll get there, it just won't happen overnight.

As always,
xoxo

*I am not a doctor, I am just a normal person with opinions based on my body & experiences as well as facts obtained from research. Please remember to consult your physician before starting any type of weight loss regimen.*

1 comment:

  1. We all have to try as hard as we can to stay on track.....I know....I have fallen off more times that I can count.....need a support team....we all do. Someone to call or talk to when that happens....the depression sets in...the cravings....keep up the awesome positive ideas and statements Ariel.....God Bless.

    ReplyDelete