Tuesday, July 2, 2013

All about Organic

Hey everyone(: - Day #3
So organic is another topic/lifestyle I said I would cover at another time. That time has come and truthfully I'm "pro-organic", but it's not the easiest thing to describe or  anything like that.  I will give my definition of organic and I will also post the USDA's definition of organic.

Organic to me is food that is food that is grown in different ways by farmers (as oppose to conventional farming). Organic foods are grown/processed using little to no fertilizers, pesticides, etc. You don't want chicken with rat poison in it, do you? Me either! I have to say, although I would like to be eating completely organic, I'm not. And I'm not because the cost of gluten free food is already high and organic food is no exception. You're definitely paying for quality and not quantity with both of these things. 
I try to buy as many things organic as possible, whether it be fruit juice, produce, meat, frozen dinners, and even boxed products. You'll find that these items don’t generally have all the extra preservatives, fillers and unnecessary ingredients that non-organic foods have. When I see the USDA Organic stamp of approval on something I buy it makes me feel damn good about it.

There are tons of great sites on organic products and living so I am going to link them below along with the USDA link. Just for this topic I feel that it would be better for you to get the straight facts from the websites and me just giving my opinion. That way if you really choose to go all or even partially organic - it's you're choice based on reading the most reliable sources possible. This is how I learned! Also, this is the only thing that is very hard for me to explain to someone else. Even though it's just on a computer.

USDA Organic

Mayo Clinic (Are organic foods safer or more nutritious?)

Organic Facts

Reader's Digest

I'm sure some of you will really have to sleep on this topic ;) I for one am SO excited about tomorrow's topic!

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment